Rain or shine, Mt. Gulugod-Baboy offers breathtaking views, especially from its peak. It is located in Anilao, Mabini in the province of Batangas. The mountain got its name from the contours of the peaks which resembles a pig’s back.
Quick Facts on Mt. Gulugod-Baboy
MT. GULUGOD-BABOY (525+)
Jump-off Point: Philpan Dive Resort, Anilao, Mabini
According to PinoyMountaineer.Com, it has a range of minor peaks (525 meters above sea level) with a difficulty level of 2/9. Anilao is more famous for its dive spots but the nearby hills are also a popular hiking destination that’s easy enough to be tackled by rookie climbers.
It has three peaks: Gulugod-Baboy (470 MASL), Gitna (485 MASL), and Pinagbanderahan (525 MASL).
Gulugod Baboy means “Pig Spine” because of its shape.
Mt. Gulugod-Baboy is relatively easy to hike and the only difficult part is the initial trail which is a steep cemented road. It only takes less than 3 hours to climb, making it ideal for a day hike but it has been suggested to stay overnight for camping and witness sunrise and sunset.
Upon reaching the peaks, you’ll be rewarded with a 360-degree view of the sea, and of nearby islands (Batangas Bay and Calayan Bay) and the rolling grasslands of the mountain.
📣 Be sure to pack light and pack smart!!
PHILIPPINES PACKING LIST: WHAT TO BRING FOR YOUR NEXT DAY HIKE
Mt. Gulugod-Baboy: The Trail
🚙 How To Get To Mt Balagbag in Rodriguez, Rizal
Via Public Transportation
- From Buendia (DLTB co. bus terminal), take a bus going to Batangas Grand Terminal.
- Upon arrival to Grand Terminal, ride a jeep bound to Mabini.
- Once in Mabini, take a tricycle going to jump off point, Philpan Dive Resort.
📑 Sample Itinerary for Mt. Gulugod-Baboy
0400 ETD DLTB Bus Buendia to Batangas Grand Terminal
0700 ETD Batangas Grand terminal to Mabini via jeep
0720 ETA Mabini to Jump off Point (Philipan Dive Resort) via tricycle
0800 ETA Jump Off Point, register and hire a guide (optiona)
0815 Start Trek
1130 ETA Summit (Socialize, Relax, Lunch)
1230 Start descent to jump off point
1330 ETA Jump off point (Wash up)
1400 ETD Mabini to Batangas Grand Terminal via Jeep
1430 ETD Grand Terminal to Buendia
1730 ETA Buendia
💸 Budget & Expenses
- DLTB Co Bus from Buendia to Batangas Grand Terminal – 160 PHP/ 125 PHP (student)
- Jeep from Grand Terminal to Mabini – 35 PHP
- Tricycle to Brgy Outpost (registration area) – 40 PHP per person
- Registration Free – 35 PHP
- Guide (optional) – 400 PHP per group
- Jeep from Mabini to Grand Terminal – 35 PHP
- Bus from Grand Terminal to Buendia – 160 PHP per person
🎒 What to Bring
- First Aid Kit
- 2L Drinking Water
- Trail Food
- Change of clothes
- Garbage bag
📣 Tips and Reminders
- Check the weather before you go hiking.
- Bring extra drinking water.
- Plan your itinerary well.
- Pack light and only bring one hand carry bag.
- Practice the Leave No Trace principle.
- Restrooms are at the jump off point.
- Sari-sari stores are at the jump off point.
Photo Credit: Archele M., Mark M.
More Mountains to Explore
- Mt. Talamitam in Nasugbu, Batangas
- Mt. Pico de Loro in Maragondon, Cavite
- Mt. Batulao in Nasugbu, Batangas
- Mt. Gulugod-Baboy in Anilao, Batangas
- Mt. Balagbag in Rodriguez, Rizal