Travel Playlist: 90’s Alternative Rock
Hey there! So, you might be thinking, “Has this gal run out of travel topics or what?” Well, maybe a little, but I’m all about chatting about everyday stuff that everyone can relate to, like the tunes you jam to while on the go – whether it’s to the office, a different country, or hey, even outer space!
I’m that person who got roped into doing the Macarena and busting out the Barbie Girl dance moves thanks to my older siblings (and yeah, I still remember every move). I was perpetually stuck as ‘Player 2’ in video games and shed a tear or two after watching Titanic.
Even though the ’90s are ancient history – a whole two decades ago, can you believe it? – I still can’t get enough of those nostalgic songs. Fun fact: I’ve still got my trusty ‘Walkman’ and a stash of cassettes. Nope, I don’t drag them along on my travels.
Now, for those of you born yesterday, a Walkman is like the OG portable music player – the granddaddy of Youtube and Spotify. If you’re a ’90s kid and haven’t heard of a Walkman, you might be in a bit of denial! Come on, don’t leave me hanging, folks!
Alright! Alright! Here’s my list, arranged by song title.
- #1 Crush – Garbage
- 1979 – The Smashing Pumpkins
- A Girl Like You – Edwyn Collins
- All Apologies – Nirvana
- All I Want – Toad The Wet Sprocket
- Ana’s Song (Open Fire) – Silverchair
- Bean Caught Stealing – Jane’s Addiction
- Beautiful Ones – Suede
- Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden
- Buddy Holly – Weezer
- Bull In The Heather – Sonic Youth
- Bulls On Parade – Rage Against The Machine
- Celebrity Skin – Hole
- Closing Time – Semisonic
- Crazy – Aerosmith
- Creep – Radiohead
- Counting Blue Cars – Dishwalla
- Daughter – Pearl Jam
- Desperately Waiting – Better Than Ezra
- Don’t Drink The Water – Dave Matthews Band
- Feel The Pain – Dinosaur Jr
- Friday I’m In Love – The Cure
- Glycerine – Bush
- Hitchin’ A Ride – Green Day
- Interstate Love Song – Stone Temple Pilots
- Learn To Fly – Foo Fighters
- No Excuses – Alice In Chains
- No Rain – Blind Meon
- Not Enough Time – INXS
- Perfect Drug – Nine Inch Nails
- Piccadilly Palare – Morrissey
- Push – Matchbox 20
- Runaway Train – Soul Asylum
- Save Tonight – Eagle-Eye Cherry
- Selling The Drama – Live
- Semi-Charmed Life – Third Eye Blind
- Shine – Collective Soul
- Spiderwebs – No Doubt
- Sober – Tool
- Song 2 – Blur
- Stellar – Incubus
- Superman’s Dead – Our Lady Peace
- The Chemicals Between Us – Bush
- The Freshmen – The Verve Pipe
- Under The Bridge – Red Hot Chili Pepper
- When You Sleep – My Bloody Valentine
- Why Does It Always Rain On Me – Travis
- Wonderwall – Oasis
- You Oughta Know – Alanis Morissette
- You Get What You Give – New Radicals
I’m curious whether the music from the 1990s is now deemed “Oldies.” Is there a popular alternative music from two decades ago that I haven’t included on my list? Did your older siblings (or parents) have you do the Macarena as well?
If you don’t know how to respond, simply tell me I’m pretty and have a fantastic playlist. Kidding!